After 14 years in London writing for The Times and a number of other national newspapers, I returned to the North West in 2010 to work as a freelance journalist. I am available for shift work and I am able to travel when and where necessary. I also pitch stories to a variety of publications as well as undertaking sub-editing and copywriting contracts.
Current print, online and social media roles include:
* Founder and editor of Northern Soul, a webzine about the North of England
* Online Money Editor of The Spectator
* Freelancer for The Mail on Sunday
* Writer for The Big Issue in the North
* Freelancer for The Guardian
* Contributor to The Northerner Blog for The Guardian
* Freelance presenter for BBC 5 live and BBC local radio
* Freelance business writer for the Yorkshire Post
* Freelancer for the Daily Star
* Writer for Marketing Manchester
* Freelance speaker and chairperson for events in the North West including the Manchester Literature Festival, 24:7 Theatre Festival and CityCo
* Host of Google Hangouts for, among others, HOME in Manchester
* Visiting Lecturer at Westminster University in the Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
* Producer at BBC Radio 5 live on the business unit at MediaCityUK
* Writer for The Times’ Northern business supplement, Business Insight, and The Times’ Focus Reports
* Co-ordinator of the Yorkshire Vision business magazine
* Freelancer for ITN
* Host of blogging workshops in the North West
* Writing for in-flight magazines, including EasyJet and Iberia
* Theatre reviewer for the British Theatre Guide in the North West
* Editor of the Manchester blog GQ Central
* Writer and sub-editor of various online travel guides to Manchester and Liverpool, including for Creative Tourist and American Express
* Reviewer for Headline Money
* PR consultant to Rossendale Hospice
* Reviewer and speaker for the Manchester Salon
I have also appeared on Sky News, The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2, BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio Manchester, BBC Radio Merseyside, BBC Radio Lancashire, BBC Worldwide, That’s TV Manchester and Reform Radio.
The Times (2000-2010)
During ten years at The Times in London, I undertook a number of roles. These included home news reporter, political reporter based at the House of Commons, transport correspondent, home news editor, night news editor, business journalist and personal finance reporter.
Awards included Journalist of the Year. I also acted as a mentor to a number of young reporters at the paper and was a guest lecturer at City University. In addition, I appeared on various radio stations, including BBC Radio 5 Live.
Freelance Financial Writer (1998-2000)
While I was employed as a writer on financial trade magazines, I also freelanced for the financial pages of the national newspapers including The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times, The Independent on Sunday, the Financial Times and The Times. Other publications included Bloomberg Money, Health Insurance, Insurance Age and Planned Savings.
Awards included Trade Journalist of the Year, Best New Pensions Writer and Best Newcomer to Health Related Financial Journalism.