After 14 years in London writing for The Times and a number of other national newspapers, I returned to the North West in 2010 to work as a freelance journalist. I am available for work and I am able to travel when and where necessary. I also pitch stories to a variety of publications as well as undertaking sub-editing and copywriting contracts.
Current print, online and social media roles include:
* Founder and editor of Northern Soul, a culture and enterprise webzine about the North of England
* Writer for The Big Issue in the North
* Reviewer for Sky News
* Writer for Catena magazine
* Writer for The Journal of Trading Standards
* Speaker and chairperson for events in the North of England including the Rochdale Literature Festival, CityCo and Virgin Money
* Host of Google Hangouts
* Judge for the Headline Money Awards and the Northern Soul Awards
Previous roles in the North West include:
* Presenter and producer at BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio
* Money editor of The Spectator
* Freelancer for The Guardian, The Observer and the i
* Freelancer for The Mail on Sunday
* Freelance business writer for the Yorkshire Post
* Freelancer for the Daily Star
* Writer for The Times’ Northern business supplement, Business Insight, and The Times’ Focus Reports
* Co-ordinator of the Yorkshire Vision business magazine
* Freelancer for ITN
* Visiting lecturer at Westminster University in the Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
* Contributor to The Northerner Blog for The Guardian
* Writer for Marketing Manchester
* Host of blogging workshops
* Writing for in-flight magazines, including EasyJet and Iberia
* Theatre reviewer for the British Theatre Guide
* Editor of the Manchester blog GQ Central
* Writer and sub-editor of various online travel guides to Manchester and Liverpool, including for Creative Tourist and American Express
* Reviewer for Headline Money
* PR consultant to Rossendale Hospice
* Reviewer and speaker for the Manchester Salon
I have also appeared on Sky News, The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2, BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio Manchester, BBC Radio Merseyside, BBC Radio Lancashire, BBC World Service, That’s TV Manchester, talkRadio and Reform Radio.
The Times (2000-2010)
During ten years at The Times in London, I undertook a number of roles. These included home news reporter, political reporter based at the House of Commons, transport correspondent, home news editor, night news editor, business journalist and personal finance reporter.
Awards included Journalist of the Year. I also acted as a mentor to a number of young reporters at the paper and was a guest lecturer at City University. In addition, I appeared on various radio stations, including BBC Radio 5 Live.
Freelance Financial Writer (1998-2000)
While I was employed as a writer on financial trade magazines, I also freelanced for the financial pages of the national newspapers including The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times, The Independent on Sunday, the Financial Times and The Times. Other publications included Bloomberg Money, Health Insurance, Insurance Age and Planned Savings.
Awards included Trade Journalist of the Year, Best New Pensions Writer and Best Newcomer to Health Related Financial Journalism.